I loved the shape of the lamps, though, and decided they just needed a good coat of paint. I used Krylon's primer+paint in beige. It took several coats - 1-1/2 cans to do both lamp stands - but they look great.
(The broom asked to be in the shot... he was feeling kinda left out.)
Of course the shades would look silly on the beige stands, so I had to something about that, too. I stumbled upon this post from Enjoy the Simple Things (a blog I love), and I knew this was a project I had to do. Laura Lynn goes into good detail in her post on how to do it, so I'll just give you pics of my project with a few captions.
Paint sticks, stained.
I laid out all the sticks on the shade and held them with clothespins.
I used wood glue (instead of the hot glue that Laura Lynn used) and "clamped" it with more clothespins. I did every other stick so that I could position the clothespins properly.
Here's the second round of glue.
Done with one!!
<< Here's the big one.
Here's the little one.>>